Shortly after the start of every school year, the discussions began, "What are you going to be for Halloween?" At my school, the lower campus held a Halloween parade (and then we had to change back to our normal clothes, i.e. uniform) while at the upper campus you could wear your costume all day. I think part of the enthusiasm we all had, even during the middle-school, I'm too cool years, was that it gave us all a break from kilts, khaki/navy pants, and white collared shirts. Tonight I'll be home watching Hocus Pocus and handing out candy to trick-or-treaters. I've never done Halloween in my building before so I'm really excited to see all the little kids in their costumes. I'm currently trying to figure out how many pieces to let everyone take, I don't want to run out but I also don't want to be left with bags of candy. I'm thinking 3 and as the night goes on I can cut it down to 2 if supplies start to dwindle. Now a mini-roundup of all things Halloween.
Mini-Halloween Q & A:
Q: Favorite costume?
A: Belle (Beauty & the Beast) or Perdita (Mama dog in 101 Dalmatians)
Q: What was the ultimate candy score?
A: Anything full-sized or Reese's.
Q: Any Halloween traditions?
A: Now, no but growing up we went to my cousin's house where we would eat pizza and then head out to trick-or-treat. Their neighborhood got pretty into it and for us cousins, it was a fun sometimes school-night treat (I had to) to be together.
Q: Favorite Halloween movie?
A: I can't do scary movies. Hocus Pocus is as spooky as I get.
Q: Candycorn: No way or all day?
A: No way!
Last Minute Costumes: Want to answer the door for trick-or-treaters in style or decided you do want to go to that costume party tonight? Here are 5 easy-to-make costumes using things you likely already own.
- Charlie Brown (Need: yellow shirt, black felt or permanent marker, khakis)
- Rosie the Riveter (Need: red bandana, chambray shirt)
- Ghost (Need: white sheet & scissors)
- Formal Apology (Need: suit/fancy dress & sign that says "I'm Sorry")
- Ceiling Fan (Need: At the most basic a sign that says "Go Ceiling." If you're going to get a little more creative, add pom poms.)
Still not feeling festive? Here's some musical inspiration:
- Thriller - Michael Jackson
- Somebody's Watching Me - Rockwell
- Demons - Imagine Dragons
- The Monster - Eminem ft. Rihanna
- Ghostbusters - Ray Parker, Jr.
What are your Halloween plans? Are you dressing up?